I make leather and silver plant hangers for etsy. I wanted a beautiful flower pot to stage the hanging planters with that would look pretty, attract attention, and compliment the planter. So, I decided to try a silver flower pot.
First, I went to Dollar Tree and bought plain ceramic flower pots and painted them silver with the following result:
O.k. I suppose, but kind of meh. So, I was inspired by this blog, with its beautiful faux aged silver painted flower pots. I love faux painting to decided to give it a try.
Materials needed for this planter tutorial:
- Terracotta flower pot
- Silver spray paint
- Brown spray paint
- Brown, black and white craft paint
- Sea sponge
- First, seal the terracotta pot with Polycrylic
- Put the pot upside down on a stake, and spray paint it silver
- Give it a quick, uneven and splotchy spray of brown
- When the spray paint is dry, put some black, white and brown craft paint on a palette
- Using a sea sponge, put the three colors on the sponge, and blot on the flower pot, in a very uneven manner
- Keep painting until you reach the desired effect
- When the craft paint it dry add quick, uneven few splotches of silver spray paint
- Finish with polycrylic or desired sealer
Here is the finished silver planter with my Flea Market wood succulent planters. Cute!
And, then I loved these flower pots so much, I had a silly photo shoot around the house.