Here is another planter I made from my flea market hunting. I found the pieces around the same time as the pieces for the Flea Market Planter. I love these pieces together, and the shabby chic, rustic look of it all. My friend is planning a rustic wedding, and these are just the sort of pieces she is making for the table decorations!
For this planter project, I used a cute, short and stout found candlestick and a cheese plate with a glass dome cover. Cheese plates with dome covers are easy to find in Goodwill, they have some almost every time I am there! And, they make perfect bases for terrariums.
I also used an Unfinished wood circle plaque for the base.
- First, I cleaned and sanded all the pieces, including the Unfinished wood circle plaque.
- I then glued the the bottom of the candlestick to the wood plaque. For this, I used to do everything the “right” way and drill a hole, glue with Wood Gorilla glue, put the wood pieces together and then install a wood screw. This way works GREAT and is very sturdy. However, have I mentioned that I am very immediate gratification in my crafts? For this project, I used a glue gun, with the glue set at the hot setting.
- When I have tested this method compared to the “right” method by trying to take the pieces apart, I find the glue gun on the hot setting really works just as well. The unfinished wood really sticks very strongly using the glue gun. So, I recommend both methods, depending on your preference.
- Next, I primed and painted the pieces for my new succulent terrarium with the desired paint color
- Using the glue gun, I glued the cheese tray to the top of the candlestick.
And that is it! This is about the easiest, most gorgeous project ever! The only down side to this project, is that when I placed it on my kitchen counter, the kids thought I had made them fancy cupcakes every time they came home. After checking under the dome about a dozen times, they finally got the hint that the succulents were not magically changing into sweets.
However, this would also make a perfect sweets display!