Here is another hanging planter project made from flea market finds. These bowls were bought a while ago from Goodwill – I had planned on making more serving bowls on pedestals, but they just didn’t work out. They were too square for what I wanted. I pulled them out recently to consider them as possible hanging planters. hmmmm…
I really needed to work with some color about now, after working with so much black and brown leather lately! And, I wanted to find a non-traditional way to hang them – something a bit industrial, and something a bit left-over from my basement 🙂
So, I painted these planter containers blue. Or, rather, I tried to paint them blue with a lovely turquoise paint in my paint supply. Unfortunately, I only had a little, tiny bit of blue paint. I started cutting the paint for each subsequent bowl by adding white, and ended with the beautiful blue ombres effect. As they say, necessity is the mother of invention!
To make these hanging planters, you just need:
- Fan pull ball chain
- 12 Fan pull ball chain connectors
- Wire cutters
- 3 Wooden bowls (you can use as many bowls as you would like, but you will need more ball chain and ball chain connectors for each additional bowl. I have a fourth that will be added eventually)
- Paint – choice of color and white
- First, coat the bowls, inside and out with either a primer, or the polycrylic.
- Paint one bowl with the darkest color
- Add a little white to the paint, and paint the second bowl
- Continue adding white to the paint and paint each bowl.
- Finish the hanging planter bowls with Polycrylic
- Drill holes on the sides of the bowls
- Cut the Fan pull ball chain to the desired height for the distance you want between the hanging planter bowls plus the length of the hole
- Insert the chain into the holes of the bottom planter bowl
- Install the ball chain connectors on the bottom of the chain
- Install the ball chain connectors on the top of the chain
- Insert the chain into the holes of the next bowl and connect the chain to the connectors below.
- Continue doing this until all desired bowls are connected.
I love the look of this ombres effect on the hanging planter. I plan on adding the fourth bowl when I get more Fan pull ball chain! I think this would be the perfect plant hanger for my kitchen herb garden. And the color will brighten up the winter months.
These plant holders will be wonderful for a small garden, balcony garden or indoor herb garden.